Donor sperm for fertility treatment
Using donor sperm is an option for singles and couples who dream of having a child but need a little help. Here, we will introduce you to the basics of donor sperm – who uses it, which treatment options exist, questions to ask yourself before deciding to use a donor, how to get started and more.
Who can use donor sperm?
Everyone can use donor sperm from Cryos. However, some fertility clinics may have restrictions regarding donor sperm and the choice of donor, due to their country’s law and restrictions. The three main groups of people who use donor sperm from Cryos to have a baby are:
FACTS ABOUT DONOR SPERM
- The first successful pregnancy with frozen sperm was reported in 1953.
- The sperm is thoroughly tested to make sure that the quality is good enough for a sperm donation. In these tests, we look at the concentration of sperm cells and the sperm cells’ ability to move.
- A normal sperm count ranges from 15 to more than 200 million sperm cells per ml.
- After the donation, the donor sperm is gradually cooled and stored in a nitrogen tank at -196 °C.
- Freezing sperm is also known as cryopreservation. At these extremely low temperatures, there is no biological activity and therefore no microbes or bacteria can attack the sperm.
- Donor sperm can be used for different types of fertility treatment, and these require different kinds of preparation of the sperm. The sperm is either frozen “raw”, containing all the natural fluids that are present in a normal ejaculation, or it is “washed” before freezing, which means that the natural ejaculate fluids are removed.
- Frozen sperm does not degrade or age and is therefore considered to have no expiry date.
Which treatment options with donor sperm exist?
There are three common types of fertility treatment with donor sperm: IUI, IVF and ICSI.
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a simple treatment type. The fertility doctor injects sperm directly into the uterus where a sperm cell and an egg hopefully will meet and implant.
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a treatment method where an embryologist extracts eggs from the ovaries. The eggs are then fertilized with sperm cells in a laboratory before the embryologist places the embryo back in the uterus.
Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is a variation of IVF. After extracting eggs from the uterus, an embryologist places one single sperm cell into an egg with a small needle. When an embryo has formed, the embryologist places it back in the woman’s uterus.
Your fertility clinic can recommend the type of treatment that is best for you considering your situation depending on your fertility history, your age etc.
What is the process when using donor sperm?
Maybe you are wondering how to get started if you are going to use a donor for fertility treatment. Of course, this depends on your situation, but for most people, the process looks something like this:
3. Order sperm for treatment
When you have found the perfect donor, you can purchase donor sperm for your treatment. Some clinics will do this for you, while others recommend that you place your order directly with us. You can see how to order here.
4. Consider saving straws for siblings
When ordering donor sperm, we recommend that you consider saving sperm straws for potential additional treatments. Most women will need more than one round of treatment before they become pregnant. You should also consider reserving sperm straws from your Cryos donor for future siblings.
Important things to consider and questions to ask before deciding to use donor sperm
- Using donor sperm to conceive may not have been your first choice, but it is a good option if you dream of having a child and need a donor to fulfil that dream. Even though you or your partner may not be genetically related to your child, you will be a parent. However, to some, it is important that there is a genetic relation, and you need to consider this
- Do you prefer to use donor sperm from a person you know or from a sperm bank like Cryos?
- Do you want to give your child the possibility to contact the donor in the future?
- Consider how open you want to be about your choice. Who should know that your child is conceived with the help of a donor? And how much do you want them to know?
- Will you tell your child about the donor and if yes, how?
- Talk to family and friends about your thoughts - but remember that it is your decision and stand by your choice.
Why choose donor sperm from Cryos?
At Cryos, we would be honoured to help you on your way to parenthood. We have more than 30 years of experience with cryopreservation of sperm, and we have highly skilled employees working to ensure high-quality donor sperm - all the way from donation to delivery at your fertility clinic.
- Our dedicated customer service is ready to help and support you on your journey
- We collaborate with professional fertility clinics all over the world
- You can get free access to see all donor profiles with Cryos
- You have the option to see donors with Adult Photos
- We have very high standards for screening and testing of all donors, which gives you the best chances of having a healthy child. Only about 5-10 % of all donor applicants get approved with Cryos
Are you ready to get started with donor sperm?
If you are ready to begin your baby journey, we are here to help you. To get started, you are welcome to book a free call with one of Cryos’ customer service employees. They can help you with everything – from finding a clinic near you to choosing a donor and ordering donor sperm.
If you want to talk to others in the same situation as you and get inspiration and help, we encourage you to join the Facebook group Family Dreams. It is a nice and kind environment where people can share their experiences. The group is for everyone who is (considering) embarking on their journey to have a donor-conceived child and people who already have children with the help of a sperm donor.